Jump past the break for the full press release.
Las Vegas, NV, NAB Conference, Booth SL3305 (April 16, 2012)—AJA Video Systems announced Ki Pro Quad, a new solid-state portable video recorder at NAB Show 2012. Ki Pro Quad is capable of capturing high-quality edit-ready files in formats including 4K (4096 x 2160), Quad HD (3840 x 2160), 2K (2048 x 1080), and HD (1920 x 1080), for the fastest path from camera-to-editorial with 10-bit 4:4:4 and 10-bit 4:2:2 color support.
“I believe a Ki Pro Quad, a Canon EOS C500 and a Thunderbolt™-enabled Mac will revolutionize the industry, delivering a powerful, portable and cost-effective gear solution for premium Hollywood filmmakers,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.
Ki Pro Quad helps facilitate a powerful workflow for 4K, accepting RAW camera output via SDI simultaneously outputting that data via Thunderbolt™. The recorder also performs debayer processing of the RAW data that can be used to produce on-board Apple ProRes recordings to SSD media. HD, 2K and 4K ProRes files recorded to removable SSD media may easily be used in a variety of popular non-linear editors. The debayered image produced by the Ki Pro Quad can also be used for 4K monitoring in real time. A scaled or cropped output is also simultaneously available for 2K or HD monitoring via dedicated SDI and HDMI connections.
“We have been working very closely with Canon Inc. headquarters in Japan to optimize performance between Canon’s upcoming Cinema EOS C500 digital cinema camera and our Ki Pro Quad,” said Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems. “Ki Pro Quad offers some amazing new ways of working; by creating post-friendly files to removable SSDs, moving the original camera RAW files to a Mac, and allowing 4K monitoring all at the same time. Regardless of what your production needs may be today, Ki Pro Quad will have you covered for future workflow needs as well.”
Ki Pro Quad Overview:
- 4K/Quad HD/2K/HD Solid State Video Recorder
- Supports 10-bit 4:4:4 and 10-bit 4:2:2
- RAW support
- Debayer and ProRes encode to on-board SSD
- Realtime pass-through of RAW data via Thunderbolt
- Uncompressed and debayered 4K monitoring output
- Dedicated HD monitoring via SDI and HDMI
- Record to edit-friendly 4K, 2K, or HD ProRes files on removable SSD media
- Offload ProRes files to your non-linear edit system via AJA Thunderbolt SSD reader
Ki Pro Quad Workflow:
- Camera outputs 4K RAW over SDI
- Ki Pro Quad accepts 4K RAW over SDI
- Ki Pro Quad performs debayer processing of RAW
- Debayered image is used for on-board compressed recordings to SSD media
- Debayered image is used for 4K monitoring output
- Debayered image is used for scaled/cropped HD monitoring via SDI and HDMI
- RAW signal is passed from camera to Ki Pro Quad and out via Thunderbolt to computer/storage
- Further manipulation of RAW is made possible via Canon software tools
- HD, 2K, and 4K compressed recordings made to SSD media may be used directly in popular non-linear editors
Ki Pro Quad will be available later in 2012 through AJA’s worldwide network of resellers for an MSRP of $3,995 US. For a complete set of features and technical specifications, please visit www.aja.com.
About AJA Video Systems, Inc.
Since 1993, AJA Video has been a leading manufacturer of high-quality and cost-effective digital video interface, conversion, acquisition, and desktop solutions supporting the professional broadcast and post- production markets. With headquarters in Grass Valley, California, AJA maintains an extensive sales channel of dealers and systems integrators around the world. For further information, please see our website www.aja.com.